Dear readers, Olivia Rose from My King Cook prepared a wonderful recipe for you. Have a read and learn a bit more about how to make a delicious sweet potato and black bean chili. Thanks again Olivia!
My King Cook shares healthy cooking and culinary advice with the world! We keep learning new things, unique cooking traditions and food culture for the benefit of those who want to stay healthy and well with great food. Healthy cooking need not break the bank and eat much time. Check out our blog MyKingCook.com for the latest recipes, cooking tips and kitchenware reviews today!
The Easiest Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili for Vegans
Soups and stews are 2 of my most favorite things to eat. What can I say? I am a bonafide soup-lover. I cannot and would not last a week without any type of soup or stew or broth to slurp. I think it’s the comforting feel of being at home with your family. Or maybe the deep and robust flavors with every spoonful that I crave for. The great thing about soups and stews is that they can also be made in the simplest of ways and they would still come out mouth-watering.
Before I became vegan, I used to frequent Mexican restaurants and food stalls just to have a piping hot bowl of chili. And being a purist that I was, I always ordered my chili with everything in it: beef, beans, cheese, spices, sour cream, guacamole, salsa and even crushed up tortilla chips. So when I went vegan, you can imagine how much I wanted to have authentic tasting chili. Of course, you cannot get that same meaty and dangerously fatty taste, but still, I would like to have something close to it – in the most wholesome of ways.
My friend Edward went by my house one day and brought a large casserole filled with something that smelled so familiar. He opened the lid and lo and behold! A pot of chili waiting for me to eat it. He said he got the recipe through research. But before I dug in, I of course asked, “Is this vegan?” and to my shock and awe, he said, “Yes, totally!” It tasted so good I forgot there weren’t any meat or animal products in it. So I said, “You have to teach me how to make this!”
Surprisingly, this recipe doesn’t have much in it. In fact, you will only need 5 ingredients. Yes, you have read it right. FIVE! This is a basic, but a really tasty rendition of chili, which means you can consider this as your blank canvas and amp up the flavors with your spices and other ingredients of choice.
5 Ingredient Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups of low-sodium vegetable stock (you can use 2 cups of water too)
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized cubes or chunks
- 1 large to medium yellow onion, chopped, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 (16 oz.) jar of chunky salsa (choose the spice level that you want)
- 1 (15 oz.) can of cooked, salted black beans – drained slightly
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of chipotle pepper or ½ of a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Chopped red onions
- Sliced avocado or pre-made guacamole
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- In a large stock pot or cookware for glass top stoves, over medium heat, add about 1 Tablespoon of stock or extra water and sweat out the seasoned onions. Cook until soft and translucent. You can add more water if the pot dries up.
- Stir in your sweet potatoes and spices (if you want to). Cook for about 3 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients, except the beans. Simmer on low to medium heat for 5 minutes before adding the beans.
- Add the black beans and stir. Adjust the seasoning and cover to simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Serve with your choice of toppings or garnishes.
The perfect soup for the coming winter months, this is best prepared the night or day before. The flavors will surely develop more depth – so deep you wouldn’t think it’s vegan!